Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Surprising health benefits .

Continuing my journey .... How my body is affected by the food I eat.


This week I have been introduced to '"Fermented foods" . I chose to try  Raw Sauerkraut. 
I encourage you to click on the highlighted words above and read about the positive effects that fermented foods can have on restoring ""gut health".
I did a little  research on gut health and how it affects your overall health... click the link above, you may be surprised how it is all interconnected.

...You will remember that I have been struggling with 'stomach" issues... bloating, pain, indigestion, burping/gas and vomiting. All the signs of poor "gut health".  I tried probiotics and enzymes... neither did anything to help my stomach issues.... actually, I think they may have made it worse at times.

I have decided to look at traditional old fashioned food that helped people with digestive issues in the past. I came upon eating fermented sauerkraut... not the kind you buy in the grocery store, it is processed and does not have the beneficial healthy bacteria/enzymes that Raw Sauerkraut contains.  I started eating it this week... so I will let you know if it has a positive effect on my stomach problems.

Coconuts
Since starting on this 75% raw food journey... I have been enjoying many types of smoothies.
Coconuts- the meat and the milk have become a favorite add in to many of my smoothies... of course I am always interested in the health benefits of what I am putting into my body... so here is a look at why Coconuts, including coconut oil are a good addition to my diet. I found this article very interesting, as it pertains to the reason why middle chain triglycerides, may have health benefits . If you click on this link  health benefits it gives more positive insight as to why they are a good addition to my diet and how to use them in everyday recipes.

Smoothie
Coconut Milk from 1 Coconut
2 frozen bananas
3 soaked dates
1-2 T cacao powder unsweetened
1/2 C almond milk
1 ripe avocado
agave to taste

Blend together and enjoy!






Just Sharing
If you are like me and have pain associated with Parkinson's Disease... I find using Castor oil packs can help to alleviate the inflammation if used on a regular basis.

Castor Oil  Packs
Have you ever heard of or used a Castor Oil Pack?  I have used them for pain and inflammation and they do help.  I take a clean cotton cloth, pour castor oil onto it then place on the area I have pain, put plastic over it, (so oil does not get on anything else)  then place heating pad on to the area and leave it on for about 30 minutes.

1 comment: